Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Single Columns

I wondered if I used single wire columns, without cross-bracing, if that would subtract a factor of 2 from the strength, making the model only 28 times as strong, relatively compared to my calculation of 55 times stronger). Thus if I used one column at each corner, and six "core" columns, this would lead to rough strength equivalence.

I tried a simple model of two floors using only 10 single wire columns (no cross-bracing)in between, but preliminary tests suggest this arrangement was quite weak. This indicates that the wire columns are not as strong as I calculated.

I still am very interested in trying to model a progressive collapse. The idea is to get the proper column arrangement such that when an upper set of floors falls, the next floor down will fail, then the next, and so forth.

2 Comments:

Blogger 911_truthiness said...

How about testing the death ray / beam hypothesis proposed by some of the other conspiracy theorist?

Hang an industrial strength microwave oven over the model with the door open, Nuke on high for an hour, see if it falls.

10:09 AM  
Blogger psikeyhackr said...

The structure would arrest in a true top down collapse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4BXIpdIdo
.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home